Skip to main content

Off Duty

It has emerged that a Muslim policeman has asked to be removed from a job where he was guarding the Israeli embassy in London. Apparently, he has relatives in Lebanon and Syria and he's afraid of what they might think (or d0) if they find out what he's doing. He also objected to the Lebanon war (not the bombing of innocent Israelis of course - that would be asking too much wouldn't it?) .

So, let me get this right. A British citizen, employed by the British State is refusing a job because of personal ideology and belief. So, what will he do if he's on the beat and he witnesses an anti-Semitic attack by a bunch of Muslim youths on a Jewish kid (Israeli or not)? Whose side will he take?

I think this arsehole should be kicked off the police force ASAP. Whether you are a policeman or a Doctor, or dammit, a teacher, you must rise above ethnic tensions and do your job efficiently and professionally.

I don't want this man guarding the Israeli embassy. I also don't want him having anything whatsoever to do with the Jewish community. We need to know that the people in whom we put our trust and safety, have the professional ability to rise above any prejudice, irrespective of where his or her loyalties (or family) lie.

The Police Service is carrying out an internal investigation into this matter - watch this space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!