Skip to main content

Season's End

Well, this evening saw the end of the festivities with the first stars announcing the return of normality to our daily lives.

I enjoy the Jewish festivals a lot. Starting with the New Year (Rosh Hashanah) on the first day of the Hebrew month of Tishri, we enter a time of reflection that doesn't really end until the 23rd of the month (or if you are in Israel, the 22nd) as we finish reading the fifth book of the Bible (Deuteronomy) and immediately flick back to the birth of the universe in Genesis.

However, too much of good thing is never healthy and so, now, we are ready to face the new year in the hope that it will be a damn sight better than the one we've just left.

The festival of Simchat Torah (literally "rejoicing in the Torah") is floating away as I write (unless you're reading this in the US!) and I feel a rush of relief that once again, I've come through the holidays...and can enjoy the other pleasures that life has to offer (like a full weekend!)

Comments

Jodi said…
Wow. Being Catholic I know absolutely nothing about Jewish holiday, but I have read Deuteronomy and Genesis.
Interesting stuff.
J.
The Scribbler said…
The way it works is that each Saturday (Shabbat) morning, we read a portion of the Bible in chronological order.

It takes us 54 weeks (through the lunar calendar) to go from the start of Genesis to the death of Moses. We finish off the fifth book and re-start the first on the very same day (Simchat Torah) to show that the Torah (i.e. the five books of Moses) is infinite, like a circle that has no start or end.

On Simchat Torah, we read about Moses' blessings to the tribes and his subsequent death. We then start Genesis and only read about the creation (i.e. all seven days)

On the first Shabbat after the festival, we start reading again from the very first verse until the time when G-d was about to bring on the flood. Then, on the next Shabbat, we read about the flood and so on.

If you would like to see how we split up the five books into weekly portions, please go to this site:

http://www.jewfaq.org/readings.htm

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...