Skip to main content

I Have Finally Made It Into The 21st Century

This is a bit of historic (nay, histrionic) post for me as it is the first written on my spanking new laptop (hooray I hear you cheer? Or maybe not). It's great having a portable pc, along with the freedom of being able to get my emails anywhere within reasonable reach of my wireless network.

Did I just mention wireless? That wonderful invention of the twenty first century?

Let me tell you about wireless (grunt, thump).

I'll say it three times:
Damn, damn, damn wireless.

It has taken me a day to set the bloody thing up. Don't get me wrong. There was nothing wrong with the equipment (besides the befuddling instructions which I still don't understand) - it was just the glut of totally incomprehensible material that I read on how to, not so much set it up, as secure it.

Oh yes.

Securing it.

I didn't have a problem finding the signal once I'd got the router configured (well, sort of). My laptop sprang to life...unfortunately to the keen attention of probably every other computer user in the neighberhood. Boy was I "unsecured"!

However, with the kind assistance of some people in the know (and a lot of swearing on my part), I have finally got this thing working the way I want it to. It tells me that I'm working on a secure connection and I have done as instructed, but I really can't understand why it is so tricky (no, read that as nightmarish) to set up a simple connection between two computers.

Now, I understand what a network key (please do not ask) as well as MAC thingy are. However, if you asked me to set it up again, I don't think I'd have an inkling of what I need to do.

Yes, I have made it into the twenty-first century but boy, have I aged in the process.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Welcome here!

Wireless sounds great, but setting up can indeed be a lot of trouble. Wish I could have been there to help ... .
The Scribbler said…
...wish you'd been here too!

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...