Skip to main content

When The Expected Became Unexpected

I heard some news today that hit me right between the eyes.

An old friend of mine emailed to tell me that she's getting divorced from her husband. One never really knows what goes on behind closed doors, but still, she was the last person I would have thought of in such a position.

Tragically, there are also children involved and so the situation becomes a whole lot messier and more painful.

What can I say to this person to ease her obvious pain? What are the right words, if any, to give consolation?

We go through life saying that we expect the unexpected, but in all honesty, we climb into our own little cosy corners, get on with our lives and then get a real shock when life hits us with a curve-ball.

To this friend, the divorce is already done and dusted. The rest of us need time to acclimatise to the new reality and hope that the people we care about get the chance to sort their lives out quickly, with as little pain as is humanely possible.

If you are reading this, "X", please know that right now, my heart and prayers are with you.

I apologise for not realising that things had got so bad for you...and for forgetting that the world around my cosy little corner of this planet can be brutal and unforgiving.

Please forgive me for allowing the expected to become so very unexpected. May the good Lord give you every ounce of strength and determination you need to get through this.

Remember, I'll be here for you.

Comments

Yaakov Kirschen said…
the terrible pain and feelings of failure brought about by divorce are often, with time, replaced with feelings of rebirth and exciting new paths.
good luck to your friend x

love,
Dry Bones
Israel's Political Comic Strip Since 1973
The Scribbler said…
don't be so hard on yourself!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...
Heavenly Fires - Dvar Torah for Parshat Acharei Mot-Kedoshim She was the largest of her type and class. It is said that passengers on the LZ 129 Hindenburg Zeppelin Airship couldn’t tell when she had disembarked as her launches were so smooth. 80 years ago, on 6 th May 1937, she caught fire over Lakehurst, New Jersey and crashed into the ground in a coruscating ball of fire. 36 people, including 13 passengers, 22 crew and 1 member of the ground unit died. Among the dead was Captain Ernest Lehmann, highly respected and experienced in piloting German airships, but who was later criticized for often making reckless manoeuvres that compromised the airship’s safety. The explosion’s cause is still unknown, despite numerous theories propagated since. On the eighth day, dressed in his magnificent Priestly robes, he faced the throngs of people, staring in disbelief at the sight. The Mishkan (Tabernacle), gleamed in the hazy midday sun, a structure whose presence owed its being ...