All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Sunday 23 April 2006

A Full Week

With the end of Shabbat yesterday, I was delighted to contemplate the idea of a whole six days without a Yom Tov (festival) followed within 24 hours by Shabbat.

Please don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my festivals, but considering that the last two weeks consisted of two days of Yom Tov leading into Shabbat, followed by three days of semi-normality and the again two days of Yom Tov, Friday and then once again Shabbat…..it was all a little too much!

Today is Sunday and wonderfully, I have a full week ahead. That said, I return to school tomorrow, so I’ll probably wish that Yom Tov was starting again on Tuesday night.

To those who are totally lost by the above, let me explain that when we celebrate either Yom Tov or Shabbat, we literally cut ourselves off from the world. We don’t drive, use electricity, go shopping, go to the cinema etc. This is great for one day a week (i.e. Shabbat/Saturday) but when we have a period of 14 days, of which six are either Yom Tov or Shabbat, we start to go a little doo-lally).

No comments: