Skip to main content

A Full Week

With the end of Shabbat yesterday, I was delighted to contemplate the idea of a whole six days without a Yom Tov (festival) followed within 24 hours by Shabbat.

Please don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my festivals, but considering that the last two weeks consisted of two days of Yom Tov leading into Shabbat, followed by three days of semi-normality and the again two days of Yom Tov, Friday and then once again Shabbat…..it was all a little too much!

Today is Sunday and wonderfully, I have a full week ahead. That said, I return to school tomorrow, so I’ll probably wish that Yom Tov was starting again on Tuesday night.

To those who are totally lost by the above, let me explain that when we celebrate either Yom Tov or Shabbat, we literally cut ourselves off from the world. We don’t drive, use electricity, go shopping, go to the cinema etc. This is great for one day a week (i.e. Shabbat/Saturday) but when we have a period of 14 days, of which six are either Yom Tov or Shabbat, we start to go a little doo-lally).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...