Skip to main content

An Evening With Nick

Dana and I have just returned from a very enjoyable evening spent in the company of a well known UK Radio presenter called Nick Ferrari. I had bought her tickets for her birthday,as she really enjoys listening to his weekday morning broadcasts on the radio.

The show was ostensibly an excuse for him to plug his new book, of which we bought a copy and had personally signed by the man himself.

For those of you who don't know Nick (we're on personal terms, don't you know), he's a larger than life character who possesses a great sense of humour, a high level of intelligence and a wonderfully rich voice. I listen to his show on almost daily basis, as I drive to work and indeed told him that I found that his frequent comments on the state of education and teaching in this country as "hitting the nail on the head". Dana told him she listens because she likes his voice - he replied that he'd try not to lose it!

We sat there, in a packed auditorium as he regaled us with stories of his experiences in the media and on holiday (including a hilarious story of what happened when he went horse riding in Barbados...you had to be there to appreciate it), in addition to giving his opinions on more weighty issues such as the state of politics in this country and the sorry manner in which pensioners are being treated by a Government that he has little time for.

We saw some of the regular callers to the show (yup, this was bordering a touch on the cultish, but who cares) and had a great laugh when he set up a quiz between two elderly ladies. To be sure, we were one of the younger couples there, but it was a real treat to spend some time in the company of a very charismatic and charming individual.

It was an refreshingly informal and thoroughly enjoyable evening.

If you are interested in listening to his show, you can also catch it on the internet on the aforementioned link.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!