Skip to main content

Because Teaching Isn't Challenging Enough!

After nearly a year of teaching, another “first” happened to me this morning.

I was teaching my Year 7 form, who are without a doubt the most dysfunctional class in the entire year (just my luck eh?) and as usual a fight broke out amongst the students. I tried to get over to the victim, but as I approached her she was already on her way out of the room.

After an incident last week where I got into trouble for stepping out of the room for a moment, only to come back to a fight, I have drawn an invisible border around the edge of the doorpost, through which I will not venture when a class is in session. With this in mind, I didn’t give chase through the hallway and also assumed that she’d calm down and eventually come back.


She didn’t.

In fact she’d walked out of school and gone home.

When the lesson was over and I had dismissed the class, I spoke with some of the other kids in playground to find out if they’d spotted her. They told me she’d taken the lead of another student and gone home (after a fight).
I immediately got hold of the head of Year and explained what had happened.

He called the house and sure enough, there she was. Later in the day, she came back with her aunt who complained that she wanted to take the girl out of school because it wasn’t “safe”.

So let me get this right:
A girl walks out of a classroom, leaves the school premises and goes home. We get in touch to find out if she’s ok and we’re told that we aren’t safe!

I do feel a little bad about the whole situation, but at the end of the day,
I refuse to be held responsible if a child takes a decision to remove herself from my care. The one issue that could have been contentious is if she had been injured (i.e. run over) on the way home from school, since we are responsible for her wellbeing during school hours.

So, how was your day?!

Comments

Just said…
My day was reasonably calm this time.

I think you did exactly the right thing.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...