Skip to main content

Am I A Bad Parent II?

This has been one of the worst weekends I care to recall. From Friday afternoon, I have been left to look after the kids. Dana came back last night, but it doesn’t seem to have made a blind bit of difference because, even though she’s back, I’ve still been left to look after the girls.

You women out there are going to have a go at me for complaining but I’m at the point where I actually don’t care how sexist or offensive I’m being – one thing we need to set straight here is that we men are not in any way, shape or form designed to look after children for a period of over two hours. Forty eight hours and we’re in way way way above our heads. Added to this, I’m beginning to wonder if our house is haunted, as I’m finding that the more I tidy up, the more mess there appears to be.

Dana spent the morning cooking lunch for my parents (and a cousin who never showed up), which turned out to be very tasty – more babysitting thrown in my face, whilst she wanted to keep the kids out of the kitchen. She then decides to go for a little sleep and guess who looks after the kids again?

By 6.30 p.m, I was going absolutely spare. There is a point when you reach the “I’m losing my mind” zone and this happened at around 4.00 yesterday afternoon. I adore my kids and would kill myself to protect them, but I need to have some time-out to reclaim my sanity. The combined stress of dealing with bolshy teenagers on a daily basis, trying to teach with the computers not working and then being lumbered with four children who are simply being themselves – without any time to myself to chill out – is just too much for someone with my limited abilities to cope with.

Comments

Aww - you poor daddy you! You've heard that it's a 18-year-long assignment right?

Funny thing about parenting, when it comes to a pat on the back for a job well done, you're on your own - I hope you have flexible shoulders. But when you screw up, it may as may be in sky-writing! It's a thankless job, and you should be used to that by now.

The real kick in the pants is that the smarter the kids, the harder the job is... how counter-intuitive is that??

I know exactly what you're saying, but I don't feel sorry for you... not one bit. All my sympathy is reserved for myself - lol! Sixteen years left for me (I'm counting!)... maybe then I'll be brave enough to buy a decent couch!

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...