All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Sunday 4 September 2005

Movie Review: Spider-Man 2

This review is more than a year late and here's the reason why:

I have always been a fan of comic book movies (and to a lesser degree, the comic books themselves). I remember being taken by my parents to see the first Superman movie, at a showing in the West End. The cinema was huge, but the screen seemed bigger! I remember the titles shooting out of the screen. To a 9 year old kid, it's pretty incredible.

Fast forward to 2002. Dana and I went to see the first Spider-Man movie and came out pretty underwhelmed. Toby McGuire's acting was more wooden than usual, in fact, it was probably non-descript. The special effects, or whatever they were, made me wonder at times whether I was watching a 32 bit video game on a very large VDU and the story was at best, perfunctory. All in all, a major major disappointment. I therefore didn't rush out to see Spider-Man 2. I'd been screwed once, why waste more money on this overblown, paper thin franchise?

I could not have been more wrong. Last night I watched the movie on TV and kicked myself for not seeing in on a large screen. I can't think of words to describe what I think of this film. Magnificent? Glorious? The reason why movies were invented? These pretty much come close to my emotions at the end of the spectacle.

Spider-Man 2 (as you probably know) is a superb movie. The storyline, characterisation, emotional content and special effects are staggering (probably explains why they won an Oscar, hey?). I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat in the scene where the train is going towards the buffers with Spidey doing what he can to stop it (I won't spoil it). I also spent most of the movie with my mouth wide open, frozen in sheer wonder. It's also very funny in places.

I bet I'm the last person in blog-land to have seen this movie, but I don't care. If by any chance you haven't - you must must must see it ASAP. It's not a kid's movie (unless the child is well into his second figures, age-wise ) as it does contain some scary bits.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

In short, this film is amazing!


My Rating

5/5 Fabulous!

No comments: