Skip to main content

Marnie And Me

Have you ever seen the Hitchcock’s Marnie? It’s not one of his better known movies, but I think it is, without a doubt, one of his most fascinating studies.

Marnie (played by Tippi Hedren) is a thief who goes bonkers whenever she sees the colour red . I won’t give away any spoilers but keep this idea in mind, as you try to decipher why I have a similar crazed reaction whenever one (or more) of my kids scream/s too near to my ears.

I’m NOT saying that the screaming gets me into the kind of frenzy that would make me do something stupid, but it really winds me up – in a way that I get very nervous and edgy, a feeling that can last for up to half an hour after the event.

I can’t understand why this should be the case. What trigger could it be from my childhood? Thinking about it, I did grow up an only child and so am unused to very loud noises, but why should screaming act as a trigger to make me feel so very uncomfortable?

Any Freud’s out there, I’d be fascinated to hear your explanation. Is psychosis starting to set in?

Comments

At your service!

I don't think there's anything deep or repressed going on here. You were an only child... you're accumstomed to quiet and, I guessing, order... and you went from being that person to being a father of 4. And even though you've been a dad for several years, each new voice in the house creates another level of controlled chaos. And now you've taken on the extra task of a classroom?

I'm guessing this is a very natural response. Working with a roomful of kids, and being welcomed at home by a roomful of kids.

I know you're not a drinker, so maybe a short walk after work would help revive you... just to separate the worlds and give you 10 minutes of peace.

That will be $150! I'll go set up my paypal account right now!
The Scribbler said…
Rachael,

I think you're wasting your efforts on that phone line. You've got a talent - please don't squander it.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...