All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Wednesday 2 May 2007

Coming Around (to liking) The Helter Skelter

I had to traipse across town this afternoon to another school. After a rather disastrous trip there (yes, thank you Tom Tom for adding an additional half an hour to my journey, by the way), I faced my journey home with a great degree trepidation and understandable apprehension.

What CD could I put on that would ease the torment (not to mention length) of the journey? Simple. The Beatles White Album.

I'll admit that I'm not one of those people who sees this album as being one of their greatest releases. I have always found it to be lumbering, lost and at times, rather pointless (Revolution 9 anyone?), but then again, to be fair, I don't remember the last time I listened to it in one sitting.

The one track that has always put me off is Helter Skelter, yet, after listening to most of the album, stuck in that interminable line of traffic, I find myself slightly (and I won't get more enthusiastic than that) warming to both the song and the album.

I finished the journey at Long, long, long, which if you think about it, was the most appropriate place to end the session. It had certainly been a long, long, long journey there and back but somehow, in our time together, The White Album had managed to burrow it's way into my affections. I still don't hold it up there with Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper or Revolver, but at least now, I don't feel that Helter Skelter is the spoiler it used to be.

No comments: