Skip to main content

Ralph Comes Home To Meet The Family

Exactly a year ago, I told you about Ralph Goodman, who, as a G.I in liberated Belgium happened upon my grandfather and ended up spending Purim 1945 with our family. If you recall, by some kind of miracle, through the angel that is Jane Ulman, we have now re-established contact, a mere 63 years after Ralph last saw my mother as a little girl in my grandparents villa in Spa, which is virtually a hair breath away from the German border.

To our delight, Ralph and his charming daughter, Myla came to England last weekend and spent a wonderful Shabbat at our home regaling us with memories of that very special event, so many, many years ago. It was one of the most fascinating Shabbatot I can remember in a long while.

On Sunday, we (the family members and some guests) were treated to a fascinating talk by Ralph, who recalled with extraordinary clarity the events of Purim 1945, as well as the previous Rosh Hashanah. I discovered that my grandfather possessed an Australian accent (something that no-one had bothered to tell me, assuming I knew!), walked around in a Australian cork hat and kept his holy books buried in the cellar - lest they were discovered by the Nazis. If that weren't enough, Ralph was introduced by my Uncle Romeo, whose extraordinary memories of 1940's Belgium are unbelievable. Between the two of them, occupied Belgium became so much more than just a story from the past. We were literally living the occupation, sitting in my cousin's beautiful house.

I fortunately videoed the entire talk (by both gentlemen) and it is indeed hair raising, irrespective of the number of times I've already seen it.

The star of the event though, at all times, was Ralph, an incredible gentleman, who at 88, has the clarity of mind that many of us can only aspire to.

It was an unforgettable weekend.

If you would like to remind yourself of the whole story, please click here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...