Skip to main content

Israel Decides

I've spent the evening creating resources for my Wednesday Year 8 class whilst watching CNN's coverage of the elections.

A few observations:

The staff at CNN really need to get some training in how to pronounce Hebrew names and words. Some of their attempts are truly shocking.

It looks like the right are winning and as a result, the Palestinians they've spoken to are quite pissed off about this. This knowledge alone has brightened up my evening. Every time the Arabs express satisfaction with the results of an Israeli election, I get worried. Watching the pathetic Mustafa Bargouti in New York calling the Israeli public "spoiled" because they've voted for right wing candidates was particularly satisfying.

If that's the best word he can use to describe my people, who are using the democratic process to express their views, then I know that they've made the correct decision. There's nothing quite as wonderful as seeing a Palestinian official admitting that he's screwed.

I heard what Avigdor Liberman had to say and although I don't subscribe entirely to his views, the guy made a lot of sense. He certainly wasn't the "fascist" Bargouti called him. Then again, I'm not representing a people who get a buzz from sending their kids out to blow themselves up and kill people.

What's really great however is hearing Jewish politicians like Netanyahu on CNN talking about our people running our country, making it clear that, despite the world's antagonism towards us, we are voting in our leaders, running our country and speaking Hebrew on international television.

It makes me so damn proud to be a Jew right now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hope the new governement will be for Peace !

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...