All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Monday 18 February 2008

My Heart Is Back Where It Belongs

I don't think I can convey in words how excited I feel about my upcoming trip to Israel. Aside from last year's wonderful week in Eilat, I have not been to my beloved country in almost ten years.

The last time I prayed at the Western Wall (Kotel Hamaaravi) was Pesach (Passover) 1998, little knowing that it would be this long until I would return - and hell or high water, I will find my way there during the course of this trip! I'm sure you will recall the special place the Kotel holds in my heart (if you can't have a look here).

Those of you who read this blog regularly (I suppose as regularly as I update it.....) will no doubt be aware of my deep love for the land of Israel. I am, was and always will be a very proud Zionist, irrespective of whatever some name people choose to call me for wearing this tag. Were it possible, I would have moved to live in Israel when I was eight years old..and nine....and ten - and I still haven't given up on my dream of eventually settling there.

Israel is my true home, the place where my heart and soul lie, live and breathe. In the UK, we merely exist, whilst in Israel, we soar.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was so excited about going on a trip. As a child and teenager, my parents and I went there every year, sometimes twice, sometimes three times and the palpable excitement I felt when going never faded. You can therefore imagine how I feel this morning, only 24 hours before departure.

I don't know if I will get the opportunity to write to you whilst I'm out there, but if I don't, please think of me living out every second in the place that defines me a member of the Jewish Nation.

Lehitra'ot (see you soon my friends).

No comments: