All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Saturday, 27 January 2007

Much Ado About Something?

I was sitting in the car on the way to school musing, as one does, on whether the function of blogs was to react to events or shape them - or both. The traffic was pretty thick.

As you can see, there wasn't too much else on my mind. But seriously, I think it is a question worth considering. I naturally related the query to my own modest endeavour and came up with the notion that about 85% of my postings are indeed reactive. I then satisfied myself that the other 15% might have been made a tiny dent in the effort last summer, to fight the PR war for Israel during the Lebanon debacle.

I know that events happen and if I feel them newsworthy, they get recorded here. I don't do something in order to get a postingf of it out. Then again, I have found myself sitting through a movie wondering what rating I'll give it (now, how sad is that?)

So why maintain this blog. This strange monologue that I feel important enough to foister on those who express an interest? It's a funny question isn't it? What is it inside me that wants to share my experiences? Is it the wannabee celebrity thing (and no, I don't want to be one, thank you very much) or simply the need to justify my actions by describing them to what are mostly, total strangers?

I pondered on these no-brainers until the traffic lights turned green and for a fleeting moment, I decided that I would share these thoughts with you. Then my mind turned to school matters and suddenly, my thoughts became re-compartmentalised.

And there you have it. The inner workings of a teacher's mind at 8.23 in the morning. No wonder our education system is so screwed up.

3 comments:

Tense Teacher said...

Then I'd better not share the things I think about when my students are quietly working...

The Teacher said...

Can you please tell me how you get your students to work quietly? I've only managed that when they're sitting an exam (and even then....no I'm kidding)

Tense Teacher said...

You must develop a death stare, first and foremost. Then, every time they talk after you've told them not to, assign more work in copious amounts and remind them that you're not going to be happy if you have to grade more work. When they complain, tell the good ones to work a little peer pressure on the troublemakers. It also helps to butt into their conversations when they think you're not paying attention; my students think I have super hearing powers, as well as eyes in the top and back of my head.