Skip to main content

CD Review: The Beatles "Love"


I would imagine that I approached this album in the same cautious way as any other dedicated Beatles' fan. Having heard it a number of times on the radio or off the beatles.com site, I'm a now a firm fan.

There are moments of sheer beauty on this album, for example, the segueing of the opening bars from Blackbird into a fully blown version of Yesterday. The entire medley (all 80 minutes of it) does take some getting used to, but once you've listened to it a number of times, I don't think you'll be too disappointed. True, some combinations don't work as well as others (I wasn't particularly enamoured with the combination of Octopus's Garden and Goodnight), but hearing the terrific version of Within You Without You coupled with the amazing drumming in Tomorrow Never Knows was nothing short of jaw dropping. This album needs to be listened to in one sitting to be really appreciated.

The danger was that this project would turn out to be a rehash of the hideous Stars On 45, but under the watchful (and respectful) eye of Sir George Martin and his son Giles, the Beatles' legacy remains intact.

The only poignant bit - what would John and George have thought?

Strongly Recommended, especially if you're a Beatles fan and as such, I'm giving it the Full Monty in terms of ratings. If you're not, borrow a copy...

*****

Comments

Anonymous said…
well i am big fan of beatles. I just love them.
Anonymous said…
thanks for the head sup. It is so insane.
The Scribbler said…
Thanks for your comments. It's nice to see that people are still reading older posts!

Two years on and Love still delights. I also watched the new DVD which is very interesting.

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...