Skip to main content

Ramon's Insult

I think it should be clear that my political views vis a vis Israel are not exactly what one would call "left wing". Then again, I certainly wouldn't want to ally myself with anyone from the right who believes in going around shooting Arabs.

So I suppose I'm stuck somewhere in the middle, or probably to the right of centre. I support the Jewish Settlers in their ideals to live in whichever part of Israel they choose to do so. I don't however agree with the actions of some of the hotheads who go out of their way to antagonise their Palestinian neighbours. I also strongly believe that places like Hebron must always remain in Jewish hands, irrespective of whether the UN or anyone else for that matter agrees with it or not.

I write this in light of (Vice Premier) Haim Ramon's evacuation-compensation bill which offers to pay off the Settlers to the tune of 1.1 million shekels (nearly £170,180) per family, on the condition that they voluntarily agree to move to the Negev or Galilee (with extra incentives for the latter).

If I were a settler, I would find such an offer extraordinarily insulting. These people risk their lives on a daily basis to follow their ideal. Yes, there are those who moved the settlements for economic reasons, but I'd like to believe that the vast majority aren't in it for the money.

Jewish ministers offering bribes to Jewish settlers to move out is both insulting and degrading to all concerned and Ramon, frankly should be thoroughly ashamed of his actions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...