Skip to main content

Hadassah

It wasn't a particularly cold day. In fact, the sun was out and I was in a buoyant mood as I made my way up North End Road to the Royal Free Hospital.

I was about to become a daddy for the very first time.

I didn't know what "daddyhood" would be like. I was certainly too young be a "father" and so fatherhood was out of the question. It was to be the "daddyhood" that I wanted to experience.

It's been a long journey and maybe I've migrated a little more towards the father bit but today, the baby I was going to meet turned eleven years old and she's everything I wanted her to be. And then some.

Hadassah is smart, sassy, serious and special. The Shabbat, that very first shabbat, she also sparkled and she's never stopped shining.

I could go on, but I guess you probably know where I'm coming from.

Happy birthday kid - with infinite love from your daddy who hopes he means so much more than just a mere "father".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...