All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Sunday 21 October 2007

Half Term At Last

That bastion, so unique to the teaching profession is upon us again.

Half term is back.

Most of you who read this are not teachers and probably of the opinion that we get far too many holidays. Those of you who do subscribe to this point of view could be termed as being "envious" or "jealous", but I'll be kind and just title you as "understandably ignorant".

You see, seven weeks in the the teaching profession, is akin to about three months in every other sphere of work, taking into account the kind of crap we have to deal with from some of our young people, the needless amounts of extraneous paperwork the Government heaps upon us and the general exhaustion that seems to envelop us as we go about doing our thing.

I love teaching and wouldn't do anything else. Period. I also appreciate the fact that every seven to eight weeks, the education system in this country allows me (and my students) to take a breather, re-focus my attention on doing the job in the best way that I can and....

....sleep in late!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am in such dire need of a break that I don't know what to do. I feel burnt out and worn out and out of sorts, too. It has been 9 weeks since we've had a break, and there are about 4 more weeks until Thanksgiving break. After Homecoming is over, I will be calling a substitute, and taking a mental health day.

And you're right, unless they've been in the classroom, absolutely nobody understands why we NEED so many days off.