All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Thursday 3 April 2008

The Sorceror's Mis-Apprentice

When I was a kid, I looked forward to the time when I would be in charge of my very own home. I would fix things when they broke, redecorate the house exactly in the style that I desired and be in total command of my life as well as lord and master of my very own home.

I didn't realise that when you get married and a wife moves in, she usually gets a say over what the house will look like. I also didn't expect to be as hopeless as I've turned out to be in the simple art of redecorating or mending. In fact, I'm not a very good housekeeper at all.

Enter the wife and her extraordinary (and hitherto unseen) powers to majestically transform one of our kids' bedrooms (the larger one that Dassi and Tali sleep in) from a squalid patch of a box into a offering that would not seem out of place in a four star hotel.

Not only has she repainted the walls, to the extent that one would think she's a proper decorator...she has now gone and (with a little help from her friends) built wall to wall cupboards for our wide eyed daughters.

Suffice to say that the kids are now sleeping in our room - which she is already eyeing up for Danafication.

OK, I made the last bit up, but I needn't have done. Dana has worked her magic and put me to shame. I guess, our childhood dreams may have been slightly different after all!

Still, at least I know how to cook a passable pasta.

No comments: