Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Island

This is a hard review to write as I don't want to give away any crucial plot twists! Suffice to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the finished result. Not being a fan of Sci-Fi, I started watching the film with some reservations, but I was soon pretty much engrossed in the original and thought-provoking premise.

Ewan McGregor is perfectly cast but I found Scarlett Johanssen's role to be underwritten. Basically, her part could have been played by any other pretty actress, which is not exactly complimentary to her acting skills. She's not the most natural actress on screen at the best of times, although I think she performed her best work to date in "The Girl With The Pearl Earring".

A good, crisp script and some pretty nifty special effects. I know that the movie isn't performing that well at the box office, but don't let this factor put you off. For once, some people have put together an intelligent sci-fi movie with a contemporary message (and that's all I'm going to give away!).

I'd be interested to hear what other people think.

Recommended but may not suit all tastes

My Rating

4 (out of 5)

Comments

I have a movie of Scarlett when she's about ten (maybe 12) years old. She was a great actress then. It's called "Manny and Lo" and if I had to classify it, I would call it a "coming of age" film. There are only three main characters in the film, but I like movies driven by dialogue. You should check it out... and see Scarlett before she was a Starlet.

It's kind of a chick-flick, but only because all the characters are female. It's a bit controversial in subject matter, but as the father of girls, I think you should watch it. Email me after you've seen it... and if you can't find it anywhere, email me and I'll send it to you... my copy is VHS though.

I'm curious, does anyone, besides yourself, call you Claudy... because that is just too cute, and it fits your rating pic perfectly!
The Scribbler said…
Thanks Rachael, I'm going to see if I can get a copy or I might take you up on your offer.

Some people who've known me since I was a kid still call me Claudy.

Also, my wife occasionally calls me that when she's in a good mood with me!

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...