Skip to main content

Modern Miracles

We have all become so used to hearing terrible news, that it takes a while to appreciate the miracles that are taking place around us on a daily basis (even if they aren't that blatant).

I remember a Rabbi once saying that it is much easier to accustom your eyes to seeing in the dark after switching the light off, than the other way around. In other words, we are often blinded by the light of goodness and Divinity and find it much more reassuring to live in the dark .

The miraculous - and I use that word advisedly - escape of all passengers from the aeroplane that burst into flames as it landed in Toronto today is a case of putting the sunglasses on to see the light that was temporarily switched on. We need to make sure that, instead of putting this down to luck or good fortune, we can appreciate the hand of G-d at work.

Nothing but Divine Intervention can properly explain how a plane that was supposedly hit by lightning, burst into flames and not one person was seriously injured.

Comments

WHat's with all the name changing... you're not schizo are ya??

That was an amazing story... and as usual, I head it here first. Cause I don't like the news, or the way it is reported.
The Scribbler said…
Rachael,

I'm not schizo! This mysterious blonde showed up in Denton's office last week and he hasn't been since since. Something about her brother disappearing with $5,000,000...

I'm sticking with my new name as I feel it best represents me and the theme of the site. I'm not sure about the picture though. If I change it, think of me as being more fussy than wierd.
The Scribbler said…
Larry,

Good point. However, for whatever reason He saw fit, He made it happen (we're talking lightning here and he's in direct charge of that one) but decided to save the people. Could it be that He was sending the world a message? Maybe He was reminding all of us that He's watching us all.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Since I'm not G-d (although I like to think I'm modelling myself on Him - he he he Woody Allen quote from Manhatten), I don't know why He did this. Whatever you think, a miracle happened on that runway.
The Scribbler said…
Thank you for your kind words which I will definitely pass onto him.

I very much hope that he'll be safe. Last thing I heard was that he had boarded a plane to Anchorage, mumbling something about a fish.

Knowing Denton, he's well and truly on the case. I agree with you about the blonde. I'm sure Denton noticed that her roots were ginger...

Popular posts from this blog

London's Win Is My Loss.

I can barely conceal my overwhelming enthusiasm for the IOC's decision to award the city I live in, management of the 2012 Olympic Games. I'm not going to harp on about why I'm so against the decision, suffice to point you to the blog I posted back in June. So now I have to spend the next seven years listening to endless debates and counter-debates as to how prepared/unprepared this city is and whether anything at all will change. It makes you almost wish you were listening to some gossip about the Royal Family instead (I said almost ). One positive outcome is that we beat the French (once again) and if I think about it from that angle, I can come to the conclusion that hosting the games not be such a bad thing after all. Guess what....I'm already beginning to feel better!

The Bomb Shelter

I'm feeling pretty down today. I don't know if its the shitty weather (grey skies and nothing but rain) or the fact that the alarm clock woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4.30 this morning - but I really don't feel happy. I'm pondering whether I'm finding my marriage or parenthood more challenging right now. My throat is raw from all the screaming I've done at the kids over the last few days and my T.Q (temper quotient) is at an all time low. You sneeze at the wrong volume and I'll bite your head off. I'm an absolute bastard to live with and I know it. I prefer not to engage in conversation with any of the family because I can't be bothered to be sociable. At least on my blog, I can let my emotions rip, without someone interrupting my rant. The underlying cause for it all? It could be a growing sense of panic that school is approaching and I really haven't done any preparation yet. When I sit down to start work, I get a feeling of total paralysis...