All that you have is your soul (Tracy Chapman).

Saturday 25 October 2008

Hadassah

It wasn't a particularly cold day. In fact, the sun was out and I was in a buoyant mood as I made my way up North End Road to the Royal Free Hospital.

I was about to become a daddy for the very first time.

I didn't know what "daddyhood" would be like. I was certainly too young be a "father" and so fatherhood was out of the question. It was to be the "daddyhood" that I wanted to experience.

It's been a long journey and maybe I've migrated a little more towards the father bit but today, the baby I was going to meet turned eleven years old and she's everything I wanted her to be. And then some.

Hadassah is smart, sassy, serious and special. The Shabbat, that very first shabbat, she also sparkled and she's never stopped shining.

I could go on, but I guess you probably know where I'm coming from.

Happy birthday kid - with infinite love from your daddy who hopes he means so much more than just a mere "father".

No comments: